Friday, November 11, 2011

Do you have any sensitivites to sea creatures?

Upon seeing that question on the entry form for the 2012 race I started to laugh.  I really REALLY had to hold back and not put my first inclination.

"Yes.  Sharks.  I tend to die when they eat me."

Good job, Jenn.  Way to exercise self control!  *pats self on back*


I have this fear of the ocean/open water/random fish tank that anyone who has ever swam with me outside of a pool can attest to.  A triathlete afraid of swimming with fish.  Awesome.  I literally scream underwater every time I see a fish.  I have gotten so used to this reaction that I can scream and swim at the same time, not missing a stroke.  Obviously... and I can tell that you see exactly where this is going... an Ocean Ironman was the most logical thing for me to undertake.  As if doing the whole "Ironman thing" wasn't difficult enough, I chose to do one centered around my all time favorite place in the world which ironically is home to the most scary thing in the world to me: the ocean.


Every single time I get into a body of water larger than 25m long without lane dividers and chlorine, I have a moment of  "what am I doing?!".  I really hope that it is unnoticeable to those around me as I do my best impression of a person wearing 'big girl" panties who loves to swim in lakes.  Honestly lakes freak me out 90% of the time.  No worries about me swimming alone!  I feel the best odd for survival is to swim in groups. so when the little fishies go to eat me bite by bite, there will be people around to help me fend for my life.

I know that this is irrational as I am quite a bit larger than your average run of the mill minnow, however even they freak me out.  I am getting better.  Four years of swimming in the lakes and funny how not one of my friends nor myself has had any issues with those pesky killer fish.   Maybe fish are not so killer afterall?  Or maybe they are playing the waiting game, trying to ease my nerves then attack when I find myself lulled into a state of acceptance.  Haha!  I will never be lulled into acceptance, so there killer fish!  Take THAT! 


I have worked really hard at getting the uncomfortableness under control and once in a race or group swim situation I am fine. With more people I feel safer, as if somehow our energies combine and we become a force to deal with, one that the fishes would rather not.  I have even tried forcing myself to search for fish while I swim in order to realize that they are not coming after me,  but rather to understand that what I am doing is akin to swimming through their living room.   I know the same will be true for next year, meaning that I will be absolutely fine in the water, however all the talk about the pink meanies and sharks seen at this years race sent my heart directly to the bottom of my stomach.  Time to get mentally prepared.


PINK MEANIE



Pink Meanie  - the new species of Jellies which can be 3 foot wide with 70 feet of stinging tentacles




I did find something of value to ease my mind about the jellies in all of my reading. 
  1. Wear my sleeved wetsuit to help shield myself from stray jellies of all verities
  2. Slather myself with either vasoline or Sea Safe to protect exposed skin from the venom in said jellies
  3. Make sure to have venom neutralizers in my transition bags in case I am one of the people, and there were many this year, who are stung. 
I am actually feeling much much better about the jellyfish situation. Crisis averted.




SHARK BAIT Is that anything like jail bait?

Oh, but then there was the shark sighting. Not just in the area, but right below (15' or so) the swimmers.  It was a black-tipped shark.  I did some reaseach on this variety of creature and I have to say that while they account for 16% of Florida's shark attacks, they are relatively harmless to humans unless there is food nearby.  Note to self:  avoid chumming the waters prior to the swim.   I also read that sharks tend to go for the stragglers in a group should they pose an attack  Note to self:  work on speed and efficiency this year.


Nom nom nom.  I'm HUNGRY.... for you.


Putting this weakness into writing has forced me to face it directly.  I have come to realize that if 2,500 athletes brave the water each and every year for the past 13 years and not one has been killed by a shark a jelly or anything other than the unfortunate reality of a situational drowning (two people in Ironman and 1 in the Gulf Coast tri since 2006),  I would say that I am in as good a position for survival as every other swimmer out there.  I do not consider myself at special risk for an attack of anything or that I am the weakest swimmer as I know that I am not.  The reality is one that is frank and comforting:  we are all there in the same conditions, with the same day ahead of us.

I am coming to grips with what an ocean swim means, and knowing what is ahead of me has actually comforted me in a way.  The swim will be exciting, it will be nerve wracking, and when I come out of the brine after my  2.4 mile stretch with 2,499 of my closest friends I will have conquered the biggest of all of my fears.  I AM GOING TO CONQUER MY FEARSI felt the need to restate that with a more positive spin. ;-)



This whole process is making Trout Lake look like my bath tub, and I honestly cannot wait to go for a dip!





With that, I bid a wonderful weekend!  Make good things happen!







No comments:

Post a Comment