Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ironman: For the Über-Fit or the Über-Dedicated?

Ironman posted the volunteer and highlight videos last night up on YouTube.  I watched both videos and even though I was there in person as painfully captured in the volunteer video [side-note: yikes I looked rough that morning!], watching the two videos really captures the essence of what Ironman is about. 




Giving Back

Over 3,000 volunteers work at an event of this magnitude in order to make it happen.  They are everywhere handing out to every single athlete water, food, encouragement, hugs, handshakes, and high-5's.   I never realized how labor intensive a race of this magnitude is.  Logistically speaking, Ironman is huge.  Well beyond 140.6 miles of course, 2,500 athletes, and 3,000+ volunteers.   After volunteering in two slots this past weekend,  I now see not only the importance of volunteers but the importance in volunteering my time to give back to the sport that saved my life.  It really was something to be even just a small part of some people's day. 
 





To Win is to Finish

Ironman is not an exclusive sport for the über-fit person.  I have been shy of attempting an Ironman because I am overweight and fear that I would not have the ability to cross the finish line.  My dear friend Ranger told me two years ago when discussing Ironman Florida for the first time that it was not about where I was at the start of the journey, but where I was going to end up.  I told him that I could never do an Ironman because I was overweight to what I considered IM standards and I was just not that person.  He told me bluntly;  well don't you think you'll lose weight training?  Why discount yourself before you even try?  

Yeah, why? 

He called me out on my self-deprication, but I just did not see it that way.  Ranger has this uncanny ability to see through people's BS and realize their potential.  We call him the kool-aid man because we often think of him as crazy, but honestly, he is a truth seer.  He knows his potential and his ability and he is extremely driven in what he does.  So, Dave, if you are reading this - thank you for your support in everything. 

I realize now that I was playing into my insecurities and as I have a tendency of doing, I stopped myself before I even started.  I realize now that my ability was not the concern.   I know that I have the ability to swim 2.4 miles, to ride 112 and to run a marathon.  It goes beyond that though.  Determination.   Desire.  Perseverance.  This is the true meaning of Ironman.  As their motto say's "To win is to finish".  I need to not be afraid to start.  And after this weekend, I am no longer afraid. 




I have the determination, the passion, the excitement, and the knowledge.  I have a coach to guide me and help me align myself to the best possible position for success.  The 140.6 mile victory lap is going to be my reward for a year of hard training and training hard.  I finally have the faith in myself that is required to undertake such a feat. 

Enjoy the videos!  I know that I did! 


No comments:

Post a Comment